Four days of ingredients blog series is inspired by my four favorite herbal ingredients. Each day I will breakdown the selected ingredient with a formal introduction, why it is good for our skin, which Good JuJu Herbal products utilize the ingredient and lastly two ways you can start using it in your everyday routine.
Urtica dioica also known as stinging nettle is a stalky, herbaceous, flowering plant that blooms every year. Nettle grows wild throughout United States and Canada. Stinging Nettle is rich in vitamins and minerals, especially iron and calcium. Generally, the part of nettle that is harvested and used are the leaves.
Nettle can be used both internally and externally, commonly found in tea or salves. When applied topically Nettles are:
- Anti-inflammatory: This is one of its most well known properties. Nettle has a natural ability to calm inflammation, which means it can help with reducing redness, irritation, rashes, eczema, psoriasis, and dermatitis.
- Antibacterial: Research has shown that nettle is effective against microorganisms, helping to kill off bacteria and fungi. This makes it effective against acne and other skin ailments.
- Minor skin nicks & swelling: Nettle has a natural astringent property that helps to reduce the swelling associated with acne, razor nicks, and other small cuts and nicks.
- Hair growth: Nettle is said to have a stimulating effect on the scalp. Because of this Nettle can be found in many natural hair rinses. It may help to regenerate hair growth and reduce dandruff.
Good JuJu Herbal uses the combination of organic Nettle leaves and craft beer to make a Beer and Nettle soap.
Using Nettles At Home
My suggestions for using nettles at home is simple and easy. First suggestion is to purchase some bulk dried nettle leaves, available online at mountainroseherbs.com or your local health food store, and add them to soups, stews and sauces. Chances are you won't notice them in your food but you'll be getting all the great benefits! Second suggestion it's to start drinking nettle tea. Below is my favorite combo of ready made tea!
Simple Nettle and Peppermint Tea
What You Need
- 1 Peppermint tea bag
- 1 Nettle lead tea bag (Traditional Medicinals is the best)
- 1 mug
- Boiling water
- Place tea bags in mug and pour boiling water over them.
- Let steep for 10 minutes
- Drink and Enjoy
*Recommended to drink 3 times or more a week.
For any questions or comments feel free to email us at GoodJuJuHerbal.com or comment below!
Love & Gratitude,